Blera is a small town in Tuscia: in ancient times, it was an Etruscan town on the Via Clodia. In 772 AD it was destroyed by the Lombards of King Desiderius. In the 13th-14th c. it belonged to the Di Vico family. In 1247 the army of Frederick II ravaged it. In the 15th c. Pope Boniface IX gave the town to the Anguillara’s family, who owned it until 1572. Later it followed the history of the Papal States. Blera is now a well-preserved medieval town, whose walls still exist partially, and also two ancient bridges, both belonging to the Via Clodia, and many tombs hewn in the rock with small chambers imitating the architectural forms of houses. In the town’s center there is the Museum of the Horse which aims to raise awareness of the relationship between man and horse. The museum has a section dedicated to the prehistory and protohistory and an open area that documents the folkloric aspects of the Maremma and the Roman countryside.