Castello degli Anguillara a Capranica
Capranica (in local dialect Crapà) is a small town of Tuscia perched on the southern foothills of the Monti Cimini: the old town is on a tuff plateau surrounded by woods of oaks, turkey oaks and chestnuts.
The first settlements on the territory date back to Etruscan times, but the earliest records are from Middle Ages, when Capranica was the capital of a County.
The village grew in importance because it was a stage of the Via Francigena, the medieval route that led to Rome: today is a pilgrimage route through Italy, similar to Camino de Santiago.
During the 14° c. the Anguillara’s built the castle, over an earlier stronghold. In 1465 Pope Paul II defeated the last representative of the Anguillara’s family, and conquered the feud: he did then destroy the castle, leaving only one tower.
Today remains only the tower that houses one of the entrance gates, and on which has been mounted a clock.
Many churches enrich the town: the most important one is the Church of the Madonna del Piano.
It has been built between the 12° and 14° c., and has been renovated in 1559 on a design by Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola.
Unfortunately the architecture of Vignola has been compromised by the restoration of 1632, occurred after an earthquake.
The Church of St. Francis (12° c.) is worth a visit: inside it houses the magnificent Gothic sepulcher of Anguillara’s (15° c.), and a fresco of St. Anthony of Padua attribuited to Michelangelo.